1. Avoid spills on clothing
Give your baby cod liver oil on the changing table, in the bathroom or in other situations where they are naked. This way it does not matter if they spill and regurgitates slightly, and you eliminate difficult stains. Maybe the baby can be allowed to hold the spoon by themselves? That’s a real treat!
ALSO READ: Get rid of the fish oil spots
2. The syringe trick
Try to soak up the cod liver oil in a plastic syringe (without a needle, of course), and pour it gently into the child’s mouth.
Or let your baby suck on the syringe itself! Child clinics doctor Randi Kasin, recommends a tool called Easy Tran.
– It is a kind of syringe, which in a simple manner allows the cod liver oil to slide down the throat. It is available at any pharmacy, and makes the baby swallow the fish oil easier.
3. Distract them
The hide and show-trick, talking teddy bears, brrrom brrrom-car … The possibility of distractions are numerous. Sneak the spoon in while the child rejoices, chances are that the oil is swallowed away with no hard feelings.
4. Pretend they don`t get any
Reverse psychology works sublime on toddlers. Let the rest of the family get the cod liver oil first, and then allow the baby a spoon of the fish oil eventually.
5. Make it cozy
Make it a regular routine, and combine it with an activity that your child enjoys a lot. Hug and play with the child, and tell it what a good time you`re having and how good cod liver oil is. Although the baby may not understand the words yet, it interprets the look and tone of voice, and can connect cod liver oil with something nice and pleasant.
6. Get rid of your own cod liver oil-phobia
– Some of us have some prejudices against cod liver oil, says Randi Kasin.
– Many have not had cod liver oil for years and may have memories of it tasting and smelling bad. At the same time we don`t want to impose something on our kids that we didn`t like in our childhood. The taste of cod liver oil, however, has become much milder in recent years. My experience as a child clinics doctor is that babies are okay with cod liver oil. Some even like it. But remember that it should be kept in a refrigerator and must not be too old, so it turns rancid.